Sunday, January 06, 2008

Pileated Woodpecker


My wife and I are sitting here at the kitchen table -- she, reading her Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine, and I checking my RSS feeds -- in our home both enjoying our Sunday morning coffees, and she looked out the sliding doors into the conservation area in our backyard and said, "Hey look at that bird, it's holding something red in it's beak, how funny!"

So we both took a longer look at the little guy and figured out the "red thing" was really his head, and after a quick Google search, we found it to be the Pileated Woodpecker. I posted a picture from About.com to show you what he looked like, pretty cool. If you're wondering what he sounded like, go to the Cornell All About Birds website, click on the "sound" link, and give him a listen!


No comments: